Posted by Jess
18 August 2010

Pretty uneventful day around here, so I thought I would take a post and let you know what my job is, in case you are wondering.

First a little background on what the company does - the company I work for (and Jason worked for this past summer) makes medical devices and items that help with surgery.  Our mission is to improve the quality of life for people with chronic diseases.  We sell devices that help keep the heart pumping in the right rhythm, devices that deliver pain medication for people with chronic pain, items used in spinal surgery, and devices that are implanted in the brain that can help with neurological disorders like epilepsy or Parkinsons.  Our company is split into different divisions based on the types of conditions that are treated (so there's 2 divisions for heart devices, one for spinal, one for neuro, one for diabetes, and one for ENT). 

Along with the business divisions, we also have offices all over the world to help support the sales of our products to hospitals.  We have the offices and headquarters in the US but then there's also sales and regional offices worldwide.  I'm working in the office that supports all the sales in Japan and has regional support for the Asia-Pacific region (including China, Australia, India, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Korea, Vietnam...you get the picture).
 
My role is with the pricing team for the Asia-Pacific region and is not specific to one of the business divisions I mentioned above.  Our goal is to make sure that our products are priced competitively and fairly in each country, to help in negotiations with government agencies that pay for procedures (like Medicare in the States), and to help provide information for our sales teams to make better decisions.  My role is just a 1 year rotation in a 2 year program that I am in so we are here from August to August.  I completed my first year of the program in Minneapolis.  At the end of this year, I will be looking for a new role within the company's finance department and Jason will hopefully go back to working for the company as well (not doing finance though!). 

I will find out more about what this job is as the year goes on and hopefully share a few projects along the way.

Kanpai!
Jess

Comments (1)

On August 18, 2010 at 8:14 AM , Unknown said...

Ah Jess, we are so much more than ENT down here in Jax. Surg Tech represent!