Posted by Jess
13 September 2010

Headed back to Minneapolis today for the week for work.  Very excited to go some place "familiar" and just let the senses rest a little bit!  Thought I'd do a quick post about the Narita Express - which is the best way to get to and from the airport.

Narita Airport is 80km outside of Tokyo (about 50 miles).  The most efficient way to get there is to take the Narita Express Bullet Train (the N'EX).  The train stops at about a dozen or so stations (depends on which express service you take) in Tokyo and then speeds off - dropping you off under Terminal 2 and then Terminal 1 at the airport.

You can buy tickets for the train either at the window or you can use the ticket machines (which have a button that says "English").  The ticket costs about 3000 Yen (about $35 today) for a reserved seat in 2nd class.  I've only traveled alone so far but I understand that if you have kids under 6 and they sit on your lap then you don't need to buy tickets for them.  The ride is about an hour to an hour and a half depending on where you get on.  I get on at Shibuya station, which is 2 stops away from our place on the Ginza line.  Shibuya is a large station (as all the Narita Express stations are) and its a bit of a hike from getting off the subway and getting to the rail lines.  Today I'm schlepping two large suitcases (bringing some things home and picking up some 'essentials' in the US) so I'm going to take a taxi to Shibuya which will drop me a little closer to the right platform. 

You can get car service to the airport as well.  When I came home from Switzerland last week my flight came in early in the morning, before the N'EX was running, I took a car.  It is not cheap - it's about 20,000 Yen (about $250) and at those hours (especially on a Sunday like me!) can be faster - it only took about 45 minutes to get home.  But during rush hours, it can be 2 or more hours in the car. 

So I'm off today - 4pm flight to Mpls, N'EX at 12:46 at Shibuya, and 12:15 or so taxi to Shibuya.  Excited to see friends, go shopping and enjoy some cooler weather - but hopefully not too cool!  I will miss the kids and Jay as always though and will be anxious to get back home.

Kanpai!
Jess

Comments (1)

On September 13, 2010 at 7:28 AM , Unknown said...

Love the ice cream posts. Where is the sake flavored one?