Posted by Jess
1 January 2011

To kick off the New Year in Minneapolis we all signed up for the Polar Dash, a race put on by Team Ortho today.  The race was a 5k/10k along the Mississippi River.  My sister and I did the 5k and Jason and his dad ran the 10k.

When we signed up we figured it would be a little cold and maybe snowing, but we weren't expecting arctic cold.  On Thursday it was 40 degrees and raining.  Then a storm came through and last night we had freezing rain and icy roads.  And this morning the temperature was 1 degree when we woke up.   At race time it was 4 degrees with 15mph winds and we were on the river so there wasn't much protecting us there!

We took off at 11am and headed out along the river.  The cold air took its toll on me quickly as I haven't been out running in cold weather at all.  I think my last outdoor run was in Tokyo and it was 60 degrees out.  I should have done some outside runs while we've been home over the last few weeks but with 18 inches of snow falling right after we arrived here made it a little hard to run outside (not impossible, but I didn't do it anyway!).  It wasn't my best race and I'll have to train harder for the next one, but I don't think I'll sign up for this punishment again!

Here are some pictures from the event today.  We had fun despite the cold - definitely an experience to remember!!
all bundled up and ready to go!

we just wanted to run into the warming tent
John finishing the 10k
Jason finishing the 10k
high fives from the penguin mascots at the finish line

self portrait at the finish line

are we from Wisconsin?
or Japan?

whoo hoo we finished!!! 

Hangin' out watching the Rose Bowl this afternoon.  GO BIG RED!!

Kanpai!
Jess

Comments (0)