Posted by Jess
13 January 2011

Monday the 10th was another Japanese National Holiday - Coming of Age Day.  This is a day to celebrate all those that turned 20 during this school year, which runs from last April to the March.  20 is the legal drinking, smoking and voting age in Japan.  Kids go back to their hometown, dress up in traditional costumes and go to their local government office to receive a small gift.  They may stop by a shrine for an offering and prayer and then spend the rest of the day celebrating their newfound rights.  It's a nation-wide 21st birthday party!

We went for a walk to take pictures of the day's festiviities.  We were out a little early in the day, but managed to find a few girls walking around in their traditional dresses.  I was trying to take pictures covertly because I thought it was awkward to take pictures of strangers.  I shouldn't have though - they take pictures of our kids ALL THE TIME.  Yet I couldn't get over it.  I did sneak a few shots in and asked a small group of girls if I could take a picture of them and they were really embarrassed.  I took a quick shot anyway.  :)





Kanpai!
Jess

Comments (0)