Posted by Jess   

2 October 2010

I saw an article in Tokyo Families magazine last month and thought it was interesting.  It reminded me of how we've always been told the Inuit people have more words for snow than we do in English (which isn't true I guess, but not the point) - just that some thing so simple takes on such a higher amount of significance when it is so critical to survival and culture.  What we just call rice, the Japanese think a lot about.

 

The article is called "The small yet mighty grain" by Steven Lebovits.  I wanted to post the entire article here, but I worry about copyright issues and I don't want any legal trouble!  So if you are interested in learning more about the history and significance of rice in Japanese culture (in 10 minutes or less!), you can read the article on their website here.

Kanpai!
Jess

p.s. 5 days until my sister's visit!  hooray!

Comments (0)