Posted by Jess
28 October 2010


In honor of the upcoming holiday, I thought I would take a break from blogging Kiki-fest and instead write something Kiki-fest related. 

In September, my sister sent me a U.S. magazine article talking about Japanese candy and the strange flavors that they use (you've all see the ice cream flavors!).  The article specifically talked about Kit-Kats and the different flavors they have in Japan.  My sister said, "I'll have to find some to bring back for my friends to try"  and of course, if you know me at all, I was on a mission to find all the different kit-kats I could! 

So while searching for kit-kats and doing my part to help out Willy Wonka, here's what we found.

 

Left: Green Tea
Right: Cherry Blossom
Salt and Caramel

Strawberry Cheesecake

Kobe Pudding

Soy Sauce

Wasabi (of course)

Houjicha Roasted Tea

We've also found dark chocolate kit kats, but didn't think they were that different that they were blog-worthy and of course they were eaten too quickly in this house to take a photo!  The different flavors are regional and seasonal, so there are many more but its harder to get all the flavors around Tokyo.  I've found the best place to find them are in souvenier shops - either at the airport or at main train terminals.  A lot of people have blogged in the past that they have had success at their local conbinis (convenience stores) but I was only ever able to find the salt and caramel flavor. 

The strange varieties aren't what I was expecting though.  I was expecting flavored chocolate, but they aren't.  It's flavored coating on the wafers.  So there is no chocolate on most of these (the salt and caramel one is the exception - that one the chocolate is just flavored).   Most found the wasabi flavor to be understated except for me of course who likes things pretty bland - even medium salsa is hard for me sometimes!

I've taken some home for my co-workers, Jason gave some to his friends while he was in the States, and Kiki has now given some out too.  If you've tried some and you're reading - leave a comment and let us know what you thought. 

Kanpai!
Jess

Comments (2)

On October 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM , If Love Was Water, I'd Give You The Sea said...

I think the strawberry cheesecake and the salt and caramel sound pretty good!

 
On October 29, 2010 at 7:53 AM , Unknown said...

I've had a chance to see most of them. Had someone in the Nestle Japan technical group send them to us. I found a lot of the tea flavors all kinda tasted the same. The soy sauce one seems kinda like it might be an "aquired" taste! If you get a chance, try the ginger ale one. It's my favorite of all the crazy flavors from over there.